We got to the city and met some other friends for breakfast and then made our way up to the Bronx for a Yankees game. The Yankees played the Toronto Blue Jays (my t-ball team). I placed a lot of pressure on the Yankees to win. There was no way I wanted the only MLB team from Canada winning on our Independence day. Sure enough, 12 innings later the Yanks pulled it off.


After the game we headed to a friend's place in Harlem. There were tons of neighborhood bbq's and block parties (none of which I felt like I could take a photo of). It was great to see the city enjoying the holiday.

From there we made our way to the West Side to watch the fireworks. The city closed down the west highway to cars and let people set up chairs to watch the show. They had 6 barges in the river that launched off the rockets. We brought some snacks and met up with some other friends (you know mormons love big groups and the "Do you know . . ." questions--I had a fun time and saw some old friends from BYU).

The show was amazing. I don't think I have seen so many fireworks go off at the same time ever in my life. It was a truly spectacular.



After the show we had to fight through the crowds to get to our train on time. It was kind of a mini adventure--we weaved around slow people, climbed down a wall into a park, walked up the middle of 72nd street, and managed to find an express subway train to the Amtrak Station. It took about 35 mins and felt like a scene out of a movie (picture below).

The train home left at 11:05pm and got to DC at 2:30am. I slept the whole way. 9am church was a little rough this morning, but the afternoon nap was worth it. I hope everyone had a great Independence day.
No comments:
Post a Comment